The Arnoldshain Seminars: Past, Present and Future (UPR)
In 1995 the series of Arnoldshain Seminars started with the participation of
scholars and students from the three faculties of Economics and Business
Administration of the J. W. Goethe-University (JWGU), Frankfurt am Main, Germany,
Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Argentina and the Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo,
Brazil with the objective of fostering international cooperative and comparative research.
They consist of two parts, a more general Symposium with round tables and presentations
on larger themes on the site of a university and a second part in a retreat with
presentations and discussion of recent research in smaller groups.
The results of these seminars are published by an editorial committee.
During the intervals between the seminars they are prepared in regular chats and
other forms of communications. This web site also functions as a platform for information
and communication between research groups and researchers.
So far the following seminars have taken place:
- Arnoldshain I: National and Comparative Research from Argentina, Brazil and Germany, October 18 - 20 1995 in Frankfurt and Arnoldshain.
- Arnoldshain II: Structural transformation in Latin America and Europe. Learning from each other's experience, March 19 - 21, 1997 in Córdoba and Vaquerías.
- Arnoldshain III: Argentina, Brazil, and Germany: Comparative studies in structural transformation. October 18 - 21, 1998 in São Paulo and Ubatuba.
- Arnoldshain IV: Supranational Cooperation and Integration. Goods and Services vs. Information. September 4 - 6 2000 in Frankfurt and Arnoldshain.
- Arnoldshain V: Adjusting to Globalization and Structural Changes in Argentina, Brazil and Germany, September 27th - October 1st, 2002, in Córdoba and Vaquerías.
- Arnoldshain VI: Trade, Integration and Institutional Reforms in Latin America and the EU, March 14 - 18th, 2005 in Córdoba and Ascochinga.
- Arnoldshain VII: Trade and Integration - The EU and Latin America, August 28 – September 1, 2006 in Vienna and Stift Vorau.
- Arnoldshain VIII: Designing Strategies for Sustained Growth and Development: EU and LA Compared, March 31 to April 4, 2008 in São Paulo and São Sebastião.
- Arnoldshain IX: International Crisis and Development - Private and Public Responses, October 5th – 9th, 2009 in Montevideo and Punta del Este.
- Arnoldshain X: Development, equity and policy in Latin America in the aftermath of the global economic and financial crisis, June 29th - July 2nd, 2011 in Göttingen and Merseburg
- Arnoldshain XI: Migration, Development, and Demographic Change –
Problems, Consequences, Solutions, June 25 – 28, 2013, in Antwerp
- Arnoldshain XII:
Globalization, development and human capital. The role of
networking and information,
September 23 – 26, 2014, in Valencia and Vila-real
- 20 Years of Arnoldshain:
20 Years of Challenges for Integration, Globalization, and Development,
September 14 – 18, 2015 in
Frankfurt and Arnoldshain
- Arnoldshain XIV:
Institutions, Trade, and Economic Policy,
October 3 – 6, 2016 in
At the Arnoldshain VI Seminar the participation was opened to other universities and countries. The decision was taken to found an association for comparative studies in economics as well as a center of comparative studies. Also groups of researchers plan to apply for research projects at the EU, Mercosur etc.